Kitchens are one of the most favorite places for ants. They often get inside the food packets and jars, which is troublesome. Thus, many people look for ideas to get rid of black ants in the kitchen.
They make holes in your pots and packets and reach your food. In this way, damage is done to your property and belongings. So let us look at how to get rid of black ants in the kitchen.
Let’s get started.
Tools needed to get rid of black ants in the kitchen
1. 40ml Perfect Plastic Putty
The Perfect plastic putty is a great way to block and cover any small openings in your house or on different structures and toys.
This can be used to mend any gaps. The Perfect plastic putty becomes invisible when it dries up. It is a one-part putty that helps you remove a lot of hassle from your shoulders.
It dries super-fast, and its pointed output nozzle makes it easy to apply on surfaces that are hard to reach.
Average Customer Review Score (Out of 5): 4.6
- Easy to apply
- Dries up very fast
- Becomes invisible after drying
- Suitable to use even on toys
- It May need to be sanded to smoothen up
2. Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Sprayer
These containers are semi-transparent, enabling you to see what is on the inside and how much spray is left.
This heavy-duty spray can be used to prepare solutions of harsh chemicals. This spays out 40% more mist on every pump than the other spray containers.
Average Customer Review Score (Out of 5): 4.5
- Highly efficient
- Durable and long-lasting
- All three comes in a similar color
Identify the source from where the ants are getting in
The first step in getting rid of black ants is to block and close the area from which the ants are entering the place.
If you do not do that, then no matter how many preventive measures you take indoors, it will not be fruitful. Hence, to obtain the best results, you first need to block the entrance of the ants to your kitchen.
To do that, first, locate and understand the line of the scout ants entering your house. Scout ants are those which get into your home in search of food. Such black ants usually get into your house via any small cracks, holes, or openings they find.
After locating the army of black ants and finding from where they enter, you need to block that entrance. You can fill in that small open space using putty or cement, depending on whichever is convenient for you.
Block any other possible crack sources with some solid material. If you forget to check even the most unusual places, then it will be one of the biggest mistakes you make to get rid of black ants.
Check for areas where woods have been joined. Due to age and wear and tear, the joints may compress and create some openings.
Eliminate the food source of the ants
After stopping the ants from entering your house, your next step to get rid of black ants will be to eliminate their food sources.
Eliminating the food sources of ants will be a good move. This is because most ants come to your kitchen in search of food.
Transfer all of your food items from regular packets and jars to air-tight containers. In this way, you can eliminate the ants from having access to your grocery stocks. Clean off any food item spills. Those spills may be wastage for you but food for the ants.
The same is true for food leftovers, skins of fruits and vegetables, and other food wrappers. You should clean them as soon as possible to ensure that ants are kept away from the kitchen.
Clean the kitchen to get rid of black ants in the kitchen
You should always clean your kitchen, with ant repellents if possible, to get rid of ants in your kitchen.
You can also make your homemade DIY cleaning solutions. Let us have a look at how you can make them.
- Make kitchen cleaning solution using vinegar
- Take a bowl of plain water and add some white vinegar to it.
- Apply by spraying it directly into the surface and clean it by wiping it with a kitchen towel.
- Also, apply it to areas where the army of ants regularly march. This will help you remove ants from your kitchen.
- Make kitchen cleaning solution using tea tree oil
- Here you need to mix 20 to 25 drops of tea tree oil with plain water and stir it to make a solution.
- The process and application area are entirely similar to that of the vinegar cleaning solution.
- Make kitchen cleaning solution using lemon juice
- To prepare the lemon juice cleaning solution, you need to mix equal amounts of plain water and lemon juice.
- Mix it well to form a solution. After that, transfer it into a spray bottle and use it accordingly.
- This will not only save you from ants but also make your kitchen grease and odor-free.
Use of Ant Baits to remove black ants from your kitchen
- After blocking all the entrances of ants and cleaning your kitchen, it is now time to remove any ant colony inside your kitchen.
- Using ant baits is a fantastic way to destroy an ant colony.
- Wear gloves, and then open a bait pack. Take the bait out and place it in the region where you doubt an ant colony could be present.
- Check after a few days and see whether any is trapped or not. If you do not see any progress, try moving the bait to a different place.
- And with that, you have completed the necessary steps to remove ants from an average kitchen.
Getting rid of black ants in the kitchen is quite a difficult job. However, if you follow all the proper steps, it may not be challenging. You can try out the different solutions mentioned above and see which combo works best for you in removing the greedy ants.
However, it may take some time for the overall process to take place successfully. But if you follow the step-by-step black ant removal guide, then you will surely get an ant-free kitchen very soon.
You may like to read One of The Best Modern Kitchen Onyx Black Glass Cabinets